Selection Criteria | Emerging Leader Category | Influential Leader Category | Application Procedures | Additional Notes | FAQ
The University of Toronto Alumni Association (UTAA) is pleased to accept nominations for the Chancellor’s Award, two prizes of $1,000 each, which recognize administrative staff members for exceptional leadership in their role in advancing the University’s mission. Award recipients will be honoured at the Awards of Excellence ceremony to be held in the Spring.
HISTORY OF THE AWARD
Administrative staff members are critical to the University’s achievement of its vision, mission and major goals. In recognition of the important role of administrative staff, two Chancellor’s Awards will be presented each year: (i) one to a staff member who demonstrates significant potential to assume more senior leadership in the organization – The Emerging Leader; (ii) and one to a staff member who has continually demonstrated innovative leadership to achieve outstanding contributions to the University by motivating and empowering others – The Influential Leader. All administrative staff members (union and non union) are eligible for these awards.
ELIGIBILITY AND SELECTION CRITERIA
Nominees will be assessed on their ability to: perform their job responsibilities to the highest possible level; actively seek out opportunities for the acquisition of new job skills and education in order to assume positions of greater responsibility over the course of their careers; engage in advancing the mission of the University; and foster relationships based on mutual respect with colleagues, staff, students, and academic and senior administrative staff in the fulfillment of each other’s requirements and objectives. More specific selection criteria are outlined below.
( i ) Emerging Leader
Recipients in this category demonstrate excellence in their positions, actively seek out opportunities for the acquisition of new job skills and education, and display significant potential to advance in their career and assume positions of greater responsibility. In addition, nominees should be selected on the basis of their contributions and achievements in one or more of the following areas:
- Impacting their workplace through sustained streamlining or significantly improving business processes to better serve the University’s mission
- Leading by example in their dedication to service and/or support
- Displaying an ongoing commitment to the University through outstanding volunteer service to the University above and beyond the job requirements
(ii) Influential Leader
Recipients in this category continually demonstrate innovative leadership by motivating and influencing others in the pursuit of institution objectives. In addition, nominees should be selected on the basis of their contributions and achievements in one or more of the following areas:
- Demonstrating sustained exemplary support for university administration, and/or teaching and research endeavours; being held in high regard by colleagues, staff, students, faculty and senior administration
- Employing innovative techniques to motivate, mentor and inspire others to realize their potential
- Communicating a vision and commitment to new initiatives and continually contributing to innovation
- Leading a group or project that has made a significant, sustained contribution
- Demonstrating achievements in support of the University’s mission
A complete nomination package for the Chancellor’s Award must include the following:
- Completed nomination form
- Covering letter from the nominator
- Nominee’s current resume
- Two letters of support from colleagues/peers/students
- Should the nominator not be the nominee’s supervisor, a letter from the nominee’s supervisor or the Division Head with an endorsement of the nomination is required
In their letters of nomination for the Chancellor’s Award, nominators are asked to identify, as specifically as possible, ways in which the candidate has consistently exceeded the expectations of their position. Nominations should clearly demonstrate how the individual contributes to the University both within and beyond the confines of their job. This sense of purpose and dedication should be reflected in the staff member’s personal attributes and his/her achievements and output. Letters should specifically address and illustrate one or more of the above selection criteria and should also indicate the following:
- Innovation displayed by the administrative staff member
- Distinction and dedication
- Level of responsibility in relation to scope of accomplishments
- Documents or letters of support with multiple signatures will be accepted and will be counted as one letter.
- Supplementary documents will not be considered.
- Human Resources & Equity will be administering the selection process on behalf of the University of Toronto Alumni Association (UTAA). Please forward applications to the Selection Committee electronically via your Divisional HR Office. For a list of all Divisional HR Offices please refer to the HR & Equity website at http://staff.hrandequity.utoronto.ca/#div_off
The deadline for this award will be announced shortly. Please check back.